Move In Day

After several weeks of cleaning, repairing and painting, the day finally came to move into our new home.  Adrian and Dad headed off early with one car full of our stuff to get a headstart on the laundry (the only room left to be painted).  Mum and I (with Ella of course) packed all our things into suitcases and bags and drove the other two cars down a couple of hours later.  By mid morning everything was in the house and all that was left to do was unpack.  This is a mammoth task with a lively little 1 year old who has just come down with a head cold so is not feeling herself.  Katharine and Steve joined us for a quick lunch before unpacking some more and then doing a massive shop at Coles.  Mum helped us put all our stuff away, mostly into our new tupperware that she bought.

At the end of the day, Mum and Dad went home and we started making our first dinner in our new home – nothing flash, but still nice.  It was quite strange sitting down to a meal with just the 2 of us and Ella, but I’m sure we’ll get used to it soon.  We still have some unpacking to do, but it shouldn’t take too long to finish over the next couple of days.  The biggest task is Ella’s things – sorting through all her clothes to work out which things still fit and deciding which of her millions of toys is she actually likely to play with (our lounge room currently looks like a toy shop).

All in all it’s been a good day with mixed emotions.  Although we haven’t been on our own since just before Christmas, we have thoroughly enjoyed living with Mum and Dad.  Ella has loved spending time with Nanna during the day and then playing with Poppa when he got home from work.  We very quickly worked out our little routines, including Ella sitting on Nanna’s nap every night to watch her bedtime song on one of the children’s shows on TV.  We will miss being with Mum and Dad all the time, but as we’re only 20 minutes away I’m sure we’ll still see lots of them.

Now is the time for the thank yous.  Adrian has already mentioned in previous posts the different people who helped with the painting.  But what we haven’t said is how lucky we are to have had so much help from Mum and particularly Dad.  If it wasn’t for Dad, we wouldn’t be this far along in the moving process.  Dad took a week off work when Adrian did to paint and has been coming down with someone at night too to get odd jobs done here and there.  We really appreciate it and hope to be able to repay him one day (maybe with a nice retirement home, hehe).

Will take some ‘after’ photos in the next couple of days.  Can’t wait to show you all what our house looks like and start inviting people to see it 🙂

One Response to Move In Day