First Family Holiday

On Friday night we got ourselves all packed ready for our first family holiday – an overnight stay in Wales with Mum and Dad (Nanna and Poppa). We had to pack lots of bits and pieces for Ella, just in case, but we didn’t use much of it at all as she was very good. We hired a bigger car, which meant we could keep the pram up because the boot was nice and big – definitely buying a bigger car soon!

We left here at 8am on Saturday morning, driving through Cardiff and Cowbridge to the South Coast of Wales. We stopped at a little seaside village called Porthcawl, where we found a tiny little snack bar to feed Ella in. We then changed her nappy in the car (with the middle back seat down) and continued on to the Gower Peninsula. We headed down a little road towards the water and ended up at Oxwich Bay, where we bought a sausage roll and ate it in the car (to get out of the wind). We admired the view from the car, fed Ella and then carried on to the next stop, Rhossili Beach. Mum and Dad went for a walk while we waited in the car with Ella so she wasn’t out in the wind. Adrian had the brilliant idea of putting the rain cover on the pram to block out the wind so that Ella could enjoy the scenery too. We all went for a lovely walk along the cliff-top (despite nearly getting blown away). Dad did his usual trick of going right to the cliff edge to get the ‘perfect photo’ and on this trip Adrian was able to film him doing so, which we’ve since been able to laugh about.

From there we headed to Tenby where we had booked to stay at the Heywood Mount Hotel for the night. After checking in, we drove into the town and went for a walk along the Esplanade (set high above the beach) and down to the harbour. From the harbour looking back up to the town was just like a postcard (or a puzzle in my opinion) with the boats in the foreground and the pastel coloured buildings in the background. We went back to the hotel for a scrumptious 3 course meal before calling it a night and heading to our rooms.

After a lovely breakfast (I had eggs benedict!) we drove to St Govan’s Head in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. We went through Pembroke itself and drove along lots of windy roads, only big enough for one car. From there we went to Milford Haven, which is the biggest port in Wales and one of the largest gas and oil ports in Northern Europe. There wasn’t a lot to see so we stayed in the car to change Ella’s nappy while Dad got out to take some photos. As we drove on, we stumbled across Newgale Beach – a beautiful beach with great views of it from on top of the hills (the photos don’t do it justice). We then drove through Solva, which had a very long and thin harbour, which had practically no water in it when we drove past.

We then continued on to St David’s where we had lunch in a cute little cafe before going for a bit of a walk. We found the old cathedral so went for a walk around the grounds and into the cathedral itself. We then tried to drive to St Non’s bay, which is right on the tip of the South West coast, but there were lots of tiny roads and nowhere to park, so we ended up at St Justinians, where we could see across to Ramsay Island. It was then mid afternoon so we had to decide whether to stay another night or come home. As Ella was still not feeling 100% we decided to go home so we could relax the next day (which was a bank holiday so Adrian didn’t have to go to work). We had a brief stop at a services to feed Ella and were home in time for dinner

Comments are closed.