G is for Grass – Lots and Lots of Grass Driving to Loch Lomond

On the first day of our trip Katharine made us all smile by sending me a text that said “I spy with my little eye something beginning with T …… trees!” I replied with “E ….. eek Mum’s driving with the GPS for the first time.” Katharine won’t know until she reads this, but each morning I am going to text a letter/word that sums up our day ahead – it will then form the title of each blog.

Not long after we started driving today the petrol light came on. We told the GPS to take us to the nearest petrol station, which took us down a narrow windy road to Ambleside. After filling up, we went back up to the Kirkstone Pass and drove through the fog, eventually meeting up with the Motorway. We crossed the Scottish border, went through Glasgow and stopped at Dumbarton for lunch. We weren’t in the mood for anything big, so got a quick bite to eat from an M&S at a petrol station and ate in the car.

We drove on the Loch Lomond (the largest Loch by surface area) and stopped at Tarbet, where they were having a Fair. We parked the car, took some photos, watched a few men tossing the Caber and then carried on. Mum drove the last little way to The Falls of Dochart, with Adrian, Dad and I taking photos, trying to compete for the best shot – on one occasion my simple little ‘point and shoot’ won!

We are staying at the Falls of Dochart Inn, so our room (which sleeps the 4 of us with a double bed and bunk bed) is above the pub, and we can both see and hear the falls. The falls are very picturesque, but I would describe them more as rapids. We went for a walk around the local area, taking in the scenery and rolling hills. We called it quits and headed back to our room when my umbrella got turned inside out and broke. Early evening was spent with Mum and Dad typing their blog and Adrian sorting through our hundreds of photos.

For dinner, we went downstairs to the pub’s restaurant where we all had lovely hearty meals, with no room for dessert. We came back upstairs for showers and then went down again at about 9pm to check out the live music. It turned out to be a local band – harp, guitar and violin – who were very good. I’m not sure of the correct name, but I would call their style Modern Folk. We were all very impressed. Dad and Adrian downed a few Drambuies and Adrian tried mostly unsuccessfully to communicate with the locals. Stuart was standing beside us at the bar but we couldn’t understand a word he said and by all indications he couldn’t understand our Australian accents any better. After a while we called it a night and retired to our room. Although the music was great, we were glad that we couldn’t hear it, as that would hopefully mean a good night’s sleep.

Comments are closed.